Document Type : Original Article
animal medicine department,faculty of veterinary medicine,benha university,egypt
This work aimed mainly to study the status of some trace elements, oxidative stress, immunoglobulin E and vitamin A in sheep with skin diseases. In this study a survey was done on 190 of sheep were taken from sheep flocks around Menoufia Governorate showing skin diseases of both sexes of 2 ± 0.5 y of age. All cases were subjected to clinical examination in which body temperature was taken also pulse rate, respiratory rate; rumen movements, mucous membrane, wool and body condition score. 58% of these animals suffering from infectious causes. The other 42% of animals was associated with nutritional deficiencies. A significant decrease (p˂0.01) was found in the level of zinc, copper and vitamin A than that taken from apparently healthy animals. Also, there was significant decrease (p˂0.05) in alkaline phosphatase activity. However, a significant increase (p˂0.05) was found in catalase activity. A significant decrease (p˂0.01) was found in superoxide dismutase activity compared to apparently healthy animals. We found significant increase (p˂0.05) in Malondialdehyde level than that taken from apparently healthy animals. A significant increase (p˂0.05) was detected in IgE level compared to apparently healthy animals. According to the results of our study we concluded that the prevalence of non-infectious skin affections was (42%) and there was significant relationship between non-infectious skin affections and oxidative stress, some trace elements, vitamins, immunoglobulin levels in sheep under field conditions.